2008/05/10

Tamagawa Josui

I did an LSD (Long Slow Distance) run last Sunday when it turned out to be a very nice day.

I ran along an old canal, Tamagawa Josui. There is a very nice trail beside it so I didn't have to worry too much about the automobile traffic.

Close from where I live, the canal is very narrow and the stream is shallow, but as I ran up stream, it became deeper and wider. It is amazing to know that this little canal was made per Tokugawa Ieyasu - the Great Shogun's order 355 years ago - to supply water to then a new city of Edo, now known as Tokyo.

I didn't make it all the way to the gate where the water from Tama River is diverted to the canal, but I leisurely jogged for about 30 km all together.

I need to work out more for I am determined to un a full-length marathon (42.195 km) by the year-end.



A map of Tamagawa Josui. The red spot signifies the current location.




The typical trail by the canal. It is nice for there are no traffic lights.




A Zen Temple (Kaiganji) on by the canal.




A typical view of the Tamagawa Josui. Can you spot a pigeon?




Azalea flowers by the trail.




Iris flowers.




A curious warning sign - then I realized that I was close from Yokota Air Base.


Tamagawa Josui in Fussa City.



An intereting sign that showed me the directions.




I wouldn't be running all the way to New York.




Or to these cities. A bit too far for me.