2008/11/24

Shenzhen

Another trip took me to Shenzhen, China last week.
From Tokyo, a 5-hour flight to Hong Kong, then some 40-min. ferry ride to the Fort of Shekou.
Overall, from leaving my home to arriving at my hotel in Shenzhen, it took about 10 hours.

Again, like Taipei, it was much warmer than Tokyo.
While I was there, temp. went up to 25 deg. Celsius.

Just like many other of my trips, I had no time to go sightseeing.
I could enjoy running in the morning before my meetings and a bit of walking in late afternoons.

I learned that Deng Xiaoping decided to make this place the first Special Economic Zone, in 1979.
Since then, it grew to one of the largest industrial areas of China with over 10 million people living there!

However, I did learn that many factories are affected by the current global financial crisis.


Yes, they have their own Eifel Tower - at an amusement park "Window of the World".

A pond behind the park.


Colorful carp in the pond of the hotel I stayed.

A view from Lo Wu, the train station where I went through the immigration to go to Hong Kong.