2008/07/27

Vancouver Rocks

I had a trip to the beautiful city of Vancouver, Canada this week.
It was sunny, but cool and dry - very nice break away from HOT and HUMID weather of Tokyo.


Although we're only two weeks away from Beijing Summer Olympics, Vancouver is very busy getting ready for their 2010 Winter Olympics. I had a couple of days of stay and had great run around the city.

This rock statue is the Olympics symbol. It is fenced up to protect from vandals. There already is a spray paint graffiti on it - very sad.

Stanley Park is an excellent place to run. I jogged all the way around the peripheral road around it.

These rocks did not look quite natural. It must have taken much care to make them.




This is the statue of "Girl in Wetsuit" in Stanley Park - not the Mermaid of Copenhagen.



The Olympic Village is under construction at a formerly industrial area - adjacent to the Expo 86 site.

4 comments:

dbp said...

I was there January before last and I too wanted to jog around Stanley Park. I couldn't do it though. A month or so before that they has severe wind which knocked-down so many ancient trees that the path was closed.

Hopefully the park is looking better now. Vancouver is really pretty, I always look forward to going there.

dbp said...

The path was clear up to the underside of the Lion's Gate Bridge and so I saw the wet-suit girl too. From a distance I thought for a second that it was a real swimmer: She is life-sized and very realistic.

dbp

datadawak said...

Thank you for your comments. Running in January there can be risky, I can imagine. Actually, I was there last winter and it got pretty cold. I had to watch my steps so I wouldn't slip and fall on frost.

Those trees there are pretty big. It must have been very bad wind to knock them down.

But of course, this time of the year, it is absolutely beautiful there. I hope to go back there again not too far in the future.

nosadawak said...

i want to go to whisler.